Michael V. Favia is a well respected and connected health law, litigation and licensing attorney with experience from a variety of perspectives.
- John Marshall Law School, J.D., 1982;
- Loyola University, BBA 1978;
- Assistant Illinois Attorney General;
- Counsel to the City of Chicago;
- Former Chief of Medical and Health Related Prosecutions for the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, directed the statewide enforcement of the Illinois Medical Practice Act and numerous other regulatory and licensure statutes.
- Selected by peers as a “Leading Lawyer” in the field of Health Law.
–Rated AV- Highest Legal Ability Rating by Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rating System.
-Member of the Illinois Bar Association for over 25 years
-Member of the Chicago Bar Association since 1982
Michael V Favia & Associates represents individuals, licensed professionals, large and small corporations, professional groups, and organizations throughout the State of Illinois. His highly skilled team of affiliated attorneys have over a century of legal expertise in all areas of law. The Law Offices of Michael V Favia and Associates emphasizes Personal Injury cases and has over fifty years of specialized experience in this area. Other practice areas include Personal Injury, Real Estate Law, Estate Planning, State Licensure Matters, all levels of Corporate Law, Medical Malpractice, and any other legal needs you may have. Michael V Favia is the last attorney you’ll ever need to find.
As the former Chief Attorney for the Illinois Department of Professional and Financial Regulations, Michael V Favia also represents all types of medical providers and health professionals in licensure matters, investigations and contested hearings before the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, Illinois Department of Public Aid, Illinois Department of Public Health, and at Hospital and Professional Society Disciplinary Proceedings. Practice also includes General Civil Litigation, Managed Care Consultations, Contract Review, and Personal Negligence Matters.
- Illinois State Bar Association. Committees: Governing Assembly Member, Health Law Section Council (Past Chair), Tort Law Section Council, Inter-Professional Cooperation (Past Chair), Voluntary Fee Arbitration (Past Chair), Business Advice and Financial Planning;
- Chicago Bar Association Committees: Health Care Committee, Insurance Committee, and Medical-Legal Relations; Justinian Society of Lawyers (Past-President);
- The John Marshall Law School Alumni Association Board of Directors; Government Bar Association;
- Northwestern Business College Advisory Board (ret.); Joint Civic Committee of Italian Americans (Executive Committee);
- International Association of Board Examiners in Optometry (Counsel). Illinois College of Optometry (Retired);
- Illinois Eye Institute Foundation (Chairman);
- Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (Founding Member – Illinois Chapter), Illinois Professional Licensure Consultants, Ltd. (CEO);
- Advocates Society;
- Illinois Police Association, Joint Civic Committee of Italian Americans, Executive Committee (ret.);
- National Italian American Bar Association; Hispanic Service Corporation of America, (Past-President);
- Illinois Hispanic Chamber of Commerce;
- Italian American Political Coalition, Board of Directors;
- Outstanding Lawyers of America;
- Political and Community Affairs Fiore Radio Program Director;
- Medical Malpractice Task Force Illinois Eye Institute (Foundation Chairman);
- City of Northbrook Safety Commission, Commissioner;
- Anawis, Favia & Sohn, LLC MD/JD Health Care Consultants, Partner.
- Reporting Requirements in Settlements, IICLE Malpractice Handbook, 2011;
- A Legal Matter: Data Bank Expands to Include Nurse Disciplinary Action, Chicago Hospital News, Volume 8 Issue 2, 2010;
- 2008 Illinois Nurse Practice Act Shows Progress for Nurses in Illinois, Chicago Hospital News, Volume 7 Issue 2, 2009;
- Favia Sees The Law As A Helping Profession, Fra Noi, Volume 49 Issue 05, 2009;
- Electronic Medical Records – Physicians begin to embrace technology, Chicago Medicine Vol. 111, No. 7, 2008;
- Physicians: give careful consideration to employment agreements, Chicago Medicine Vol 110, No 15, 2007;
- IDFPR: The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation – An Overview For Health Care Professionals, Chicago Hospital News, May 2008;
- Attention Healthcare Practitioners: The National Data Bank Can Ruin Your Career!, Chicago Medicine, Vol. 110, No. 4, 2007;
- Fee Splitting MRI Imaging Services Case May Pique the IDFPR’s Interest, Chicago Medicine, Vol. 109, No. 16, 2007;
- Co-Author, “An Overview of the Illinois Department of Professional and Financial Regulation,” 95 Illinois Bar Journal 8, 2007;
- Co-Author, “Vine Street’s Impact on PPO/Doctor Business Arrangements,” 95 Illinois Bar Journal 7, 2007;
- Co-Author, “Reporting Requirements in Settlements,” IICLE. Handbook on Medical Malpractice, 2007;
- Co-Author, An Attorney’s Guide to the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, 82 Illinois Bar Journal 204 (1994);
- A Common Guide to Controlled Substance Prescribing, 94 Chicago Medical Journal 24 (1994);
- A Pharmacist’s Guide to the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, Journal of Pharmacy Practice, Vol. VIII (April 1995);
- President’s Messages, Justinian Society of Lawyers Newsletter; Editor, Health Care Alert; Co-Author, Southern Illinois University Law Journal, 1996 & 1997, Survey of Illinois Health Law.
- Lecturer, State Regulation of the Health Related Professions, Chicago Medical School;
- 2012, Lecturer, Health Law in Practice, DePaul Law School;
- 2012, Moderator, Legal Careers in the Health Field, Illinois Bar Association;
- 2008, Lecturer, Legal Careers in the Health Field – Representing Healthcare Professionals in Licensure/Disciplinary Matters, Illinois Bar Association;
- 2008, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education Lecture on Medical Malpractice and Reporting Requirements (2006);
- Illinois State Bar Association, “Reporting Health Care Providers in a Changing Environment (2003);
- Federation of the Podiatric Medical Boards: Regulatory Issues Impacting the Podiatric Profession (2003);
- Illinois College of Optometry: Lecture on Business and Legal Considerations in the Operation of a Medical Practice (2003);
- Lake County Medical Society/ Northeast Suburban Pharmacist Association Annual Meeting: State Regulation of the Health-Related Professional (2002);
- Illinois Osteopathic Medical Society: Establishing a Medical Practice (2002); Westlake Hospital: Legal Issues in the Practice of Medicine (2000);
- Kent Law School: The Practice of Health Law – An Overview (2000);
- Justinian Society of Lawyers: The Role of Arbitration and Mediation in Today’s Law Practice (1999);
- Chicago Medical Society: Managed Care/Legal Risks (1997, 1998 & 1999);
- Illinois State Bar Association: The State Regulation of Physicians (1996);
- Practice before the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation (1995);
- Interprofessional Relations and Cooperation (1992);
- Illinois Psychological Association: Current legal issues affecting the practice of Psychology (1995);
- Chicago Bar Association: Representing Health Practitioners at the Illinois Department of Professional Regulations (1994);
- Illinois Department of Professional Regulation: Various Training Programs and Seminars for Health Prosecutors and Investigators (1988-1996);
- Office of the Illinois Attorney General: Consumer Fraud Update Seminar (1987), Real Estate and Mortgage Fraud Issues (1988).
Honors and Awards:
- Professional Defender Network’s “Defender of the Year”, 2009;
- Congressional Order of Merit, 2003;
- Illinois Optometric Society’s “Friend of Optometry Award”, 2001;
- Leading Lawyers Network Annual Award, 2004-Present;
- “Leading Attorney” in the field of Health Law, Peer Recognition Survey, (Only top 8% of Attorneys selected);
- Martindale-Hubbell AV-rated attorney; Distinguished Service Award, The John Marshall Law School, 2004;
- Strathmore’s “Who’s Who Recognition Award”, 2004.